Nisarga CSR initiatives
We have always believed in enrichment of the nature, community, society and well-being of others along with development of the company. Many activities we do, revolve around having a greener approach to doing things as well as ensuring that sustainability resonates around everything we do.
Activities include :
- Solar electric and heat generation system in facility
- Social awareness campaigns for waste disposal, plastic use
- Providing trash bins
- Preservation of trees and forest areas
- Reduce plastic use
- Rainwater harvesting
- Organic farming awareness programs
- Regeneration of endangered plant species through sustainable cultivation
- Plantation of fruit and other trees in surrounding areas
Solar Electricity & heat generation
30% of electricity consumed is self generated using solar power
- The roof in Nisarga is covered with solar panels and the project was commissioned in March 2019
- We have produced 18,479 KWh of electricity in 3 months, equivalent to 1 month’s requirement even during monsoons.
- Hot water requirement is fulfilled by a 3000 liter/day capacity solar water heater reducing electricity consumption even more.
Awareness campaigns for waste disposal and plastic use
Rainwater Harvesting is accumulation and storage of rain water for reuse onsite rather allowing it to run off.
Organic farming awareness program
Hundreds of meetings over 20 years and more that 200,000 farmers trained in organic practice so far. Nisarga provides both financial and educational resources to support their conversion to organic agriculture.
Long before the current popularity of the organic movement, our leadership has provided slow and steady support and education for the farming families in our area.
We offer ongoing education and workshops working side by side with the farmers to support their knowledge of crop rotation, soil enrichment, vermiculture, bio-dynamic farming methods, GACPs, and cGMPs. We are committed to supporting more farmers converting to organic agriculture. For the health of our earth and our families and the future generations. The growth of our herbs is not only enriching the soil, but the livelihoods of many farming families.
Nisarga offers over 10% the market value for all herbs coming from Vita and Umbari farms and from the surrounding organic farmers.
Working along with the NGO and with proper training, so far 7 families have moved back from Mumbai to Umbari and are increasing the agricultural activities in the village.